Environmental Technology: Alternative Energy Technology (AAS Degree)
- Last Updated: 23 June 2015
The Associate of Applied Science in Environmental Technology: Alternative Energy Technician will provide students with the skills to pursue a career in the Alternative Energy field. The student will be instructed through mastery learning components and field study workshops arranged with local contractors.
General Education Requirements (25 credits)
|*All AGEC coursework must be selected from the approved AGEC list.|
|Composition (6 credits)|
|ENG 101||College Composition I||3|
|ENG 102||Collge Composition II||3|
|Mathematics (3 credits)|
|MAT 140 or higher.||College Math w/Algebra Review or higher||5|
|Arts/Humanities (3 credits)|
|Social/Behavioral Sciences (6 credits)|
|Physical/Biological Sciences (8 credits)|
|Options (3 credits)|
|CIS 120||Intro to Computer Information Systems||3|
Degree Core Requirements (36 credits)
|CTM 115||Introduction to Wood Working||3|
|CTM 120||Building the Human Environment||3|
|CTM 123||Building Construction Methods I||3|
|Building Construction Methods II||3|
|CTM 130||Blueprint Reading||3|
|CTM 132||Solar Water Heating||2|
|CTM 138||Introduction to Solar Design Applications||1|
|CTM 150||Basic Electrical Theory||3|
|CTM 151||House Wiring I||3|
|CTM 211||International Building Code||3|
|CTM 235||Solar Home Design||3|
|CTM 236||Photovoltaics and Wind Power||3|
The outcomes identified below define the knowledge and skill sets that graduates of this program will possess at the end of their program of study.
- Possess the appropriate skills in drafting, design and layout used in contemporary alternative energy applications.
- Possess the appropriate knowledge of energy and solar principles used in alternative energy applications.
- Acquire the computer operation skills and competencies applied to drafting using Computer Aided Design (CAD) software.
- Understand and apply knowledge of alternative energy systems including solar heating, Photovoltaic energy, wind power, energy and heat transfer, and energy efficiencies.
- Demonstrate competent application of methods used in the construction trades including carpentry, masonry, electricity, and plumbing.
- Employ critical thinking and evaluation skills to ensure compliance with building construction codes in the design and construction of alternative energy systems.