Veterans Frequently Asked Questions

If you don’t find the answers to your questions below, please contact the VA at 1-888-442-4551 or . You may also contact the CCC Veteran Services Office at the email address link or phone number listed below.


This is the first time I have used my Veterans' education benefits. How do I apply?

You will need to establish your eligibility with the Veterans Administration. You can apply online using VONAPP at . Once the VA has processed your application, they will send you a Certificate of Eligibility. This is your official notification that you are eligible to use your benefits.

I am a new student at CCC, how does my enrollment get certified to the VA?

In order to receive payment on your benefits, you must be admitted as a student and register for classes in an approved program of study. You must complete an Enrollment Certification Request for VA Education Benefits and submit the form to CCC Veteran Services Office, they in turn will review your schedule and certify your enrollment to the VA. When the VA completes the processing of this certification, they will send you an Award Letter. When we certify benefits prior to the semester starting, it will be at zero tuition and fees in order for your books and supplies stipend and your monthly housing allowance benefits to be paid promptly. After the second week of classes, we will certify the tuition and fees based on your actual enrollment.


What types of Veterans’ education benefits are available at CCC

  • Chapter 33 – Post 9/11 GI Bill®
  • Chapter 30 – Montgomery GI Bill® (MGIB)
  • Chapter 31 – Vocational Rehabilitation
  • Chapter 35 – Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance Program
  • Chapter 1606 Select Reserve and National Guard Units
  • Chapter 1607 Reserve Education Assistance Program

I am a new student at CCC but I have used my Veterans' education benefits before. What paperwork do I need to complete?

If you have used your education benefits at another institution, you will need to complete the appropriate VA application for a Change of Place of Training or Program. Veterans (chapters 33, 30, 1606 and 1607) will use VA Form 22-1995 and for Dependents (chapter 35) will use VA Form 22-5495 these forms are available at  VONAPP and submit a copy to the CCC Veteran Services Office along with the CCC VA form Enrollment Certification Request for VA Education Benefits which is available on our  Veteran Forms page  if you have any questions you may contact the CCC Veteran Services Office email:  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.  phone: 928-226-4309

I am a continuing student at CCC, how does my enrollment get certified to the VA?

In order to continue to receive your benefits, you must complete and submit the CCC VA form Enrollment Certification Request for VA Education Benefits to the CCC Veterans Office for each semester that you want to use your education benefits. If you do not submit these forms we assume that you do not want us to certify you for your VA benefits.

Why do you ask for official academic transcripts before certifying my benefits?

In order to receive your benefits, we require that all prior official academic transcripts be submitted to CCC's Registration and Enrollment Services office. This includes ALL previously attended colleges, universities, trade/vocational schools, and military transcripts regardless of whether they received Veteran's educational benefits there or not. Official transcripts must be received and evaluated by the CCC's credentials evaluator prior to certification of benefits. Please allow at least two weeks from date of official transcript receipt for the CCC credentials evaluator to evaluate your transcripts to bring in your applicable transfer hours. 

What if I can't get my official academic transcripts?

We will not be able to certify your Veteran's educational benefits. If you owe another school money, and cannot get your transcript, we recommend you contact them directly and ask if you can work out a payment plan.

I am pursuing my degree at another institution and will be attending CCC as a guest student. How does my enrollment get certified to the VA?

Guest Student - student is pursuing their degree at another institution, the parent school, and wishes to take classes at the same time at another school, the secondary school. The credits taken at the secondary school must be able to transfer back to the student’s degree program at the parent school. CCC can be the parent or the secondary just reverse the roles.

You will need to request that the Veteran Certifying Official from your parent school provide a "Parent School Letter" to the CCC Veteran Services Office that approves your classes at CCC for certification to the VA. Additionally, you will need to complete and submit an Enrollment Certification Request for VA Education Benefits to the CCC Veteran Services Office. Once this document has been received and you are registered in the approved classes at CCC, your enrollment will be certified to the VA.

How much will I be eligible to receive each month?

The VA will determine your payment rate based on the type of benefit you are eligible for and how many hours you are enrolled in. You can check the VA website to find out the basic payment rates: . These are basic rates of pay for MGIB, REAP and Dependents Education Assistance and do not include kickers, buy-up or any other additional programs.

Under the Post 9/11 GI Bill® you may receive: tuition & fees (paid directly to the school) not to exceed the tuition & fees at the most expensive state Institution of Higher Learning (IHL) For a listing of the maximum tuition & fees for each state visit: . A monthly housing allowance based on the Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) for an E-5 with dependents. This amount is based on the ZIP code of the location of the school (CCC’s zip code is 86005) you are attending. To determine the BAH for your ZIP code visit: . An annual book stipend of $1,000 paid proportionately based on enrollment. For more information on benefit comparisons go to .

How soon will I receive my first payment?

It can take the VA several weeks to process your initial application and anywhere from 6 to 10 weeks to process enrollment certifications. Generally, VA education benefit payments are made at the end of each month you attend school; for example, if classes start in August and your claim has been completely processed by the VA, the payment for that month will normally be received in the first ten days of September.

Do I need to verify my attendance to the VA?

Students using Chapters 30, 1606 and 1607 must verify their attendance to the VA on the last day of each month. Your payment for that month will not be released until you have verified your attendance. Attendance can be verified online  or by phone 1-877-823-2378.

In order for Post-9/11 GI Bill® (chapter 33) beneficiaries to continue collecting a monthly housing allowance (BAH), they will need to verify their enrollment status monthly for enrollment periods beginning on or after August 1, 2021. 

There are two ways in which a student will be able to verify his/her monthly enrollment.  Students may call the Education Call Center at 888-442-4551, or they may opt to receive monthly text messages asking them to confirm their status.  If a student replies “no” by phone or text, VA’s processing office will contact the school for additional information on the student’s enrollment.  If a student fails to verify his/her enrollment for two consecutive months, the monthly stipend will be suspended

Students using Dependents Education Assistance (Chapter 35) are NOT required to verify monthly attendance.

Does the GI Bill® pay the school directly for my tuition costs?

The only benefit that pays tuition directly to the school is the Post 9/11 GI Bill®.

I am an actively drilling member of the Reserves or National Guard. How do I apply for Tuition Assistance?

Reserve Service members can apply online at:  and Guard members can apply online at . This program is not administrated by the VA or the CCC Veteran Services Office. If you have questions regarding your eligibility for Tuition Assistance contact either your Unit’s Education Services Officer or Commanding Officer.

Once you have received your TA approval you will need to submit it to the CCC’s Enrollment and Services Office.

Does the VA care what classes I take?

Yes. While you are a degree/certificate-seeking student at CCC, the VA will only allow certification for classes that apply toward your CCC degree/certificate requirements. If you have taken classes that meet the requirements of your CCC degree/certificate at CCC, from another school, or from transferable military credit, the VA will not fund your classes. CCC can not certify you for classes whose requirements you have already met.

Why won't the VA pay for a class I'm taking?

It's possible that the class is not in the program plan for the degree or certificate you are seeking at CCC or you may have already taken and passed the class. VA will not pay for a class that you have already taken and passed whether it was at CCC, from another school or from transferable military credit. Please contact the CCC Veteran Services Office for more information. Email:  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.  Phone: 928-226-4309.

Will my VA benefits pay for enrollment in online classes?

Yes, generally, enrollment in distance learning classes can be certified to the VA. Chapter 33, Post 9/11 GI Bill®, enrollment in distance learning classes can affect eligibility for BAH. The VA does not allow certification for enrollment in distance learning for remedial classes.

How many college credits do I get from my military experience?

Military credits will be evaluated through CCC’s Credentials Evaluator in the Office of Registration and Enrollment Services. How to request your military transcripts:

Are Veterans Education Benefits taxable?

Payments you receive for education, training, or subsistence under any law administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) are tax free. Do not include these payments as income on your federal tax return. This information is from the IRS website . You will need to check with your tax advisor regarding your individual state income tax requirements.

I am a combat veteran am I eligible for any type of waivers?

Arizona Revised Statute §15-1808 grants a tuition waiver to the child or spouse of a veteran killed in the line of duty. This provision applies only to students attending a public college or university in Arizona. Effective July 29, 2010, the waiver will be extended to veterans who receive a Purple Heart citation on or after September 11, 2001, and who have been determined to be at least 50% disabled as a result of the injuries incurred. A qualifying veteran will need to have been an Arizona resident at the time of death or injury, or assigned to an active military base in Arizona. Eligibility will be verified by the Arizona Department of Veterans Services.

What other types of financial aid are available for Veterans and their dependents?

In addition to Veteran's Educational benefits, we suggest that students apply for Federal Student Aid before seeking out other forms of financing. For more information visit our Financial Aid How to Apply page .

Changes to Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill® effective August 1, 2011 which affect your benefits

The Post-9/11 GI Bill® will now pay all public school in-state tuition and fees; this includes graduate training, etc.

Tuition and Fees Changes - For students attending private institutions of higher learning or foreign schools, the tuition and fee reimbursement is capped at the lesser of net out-of-pocket cost or $20,235.02 annually — however the Yellow Ribbon Program still exists.

Monthly Kicker Payments - Allows VA to pay MGIB (chapter 30) and MGIB-SR (chapter 1606) ‘kickers’, or college fund payments will now be paid on a monthly basis instead of a lump-sum at the beginning of the term. Those training at ½ times or less are now eligible for college fund payments.

Reimbursement is now available for multiple Licensing and Certification Tests.

Reimbursement is now available for fees paid to take national examinations used for admission to an institution of higher learning (e.g. SAT, LSAT, ACT, GMAT, etc).

Vocational Rehabilitation participants may now elect the higher housing allowance offered by the Post-9/11 GI Bill® if otherwise eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill®.

End of Payments during School Breaks – The VA will no longer pay benefits during breaks like winter or spring (fall – spring semesters) under any VA education benefit program unless under an Executive Order of the President or due to an emergency situation such as a natural disaster or strike. Entitlement which previously would have been used for break pay will be available for use during a future enrollment.

This means that if your semester ends December 15 your housing allowance is paid for the first 15 days of December only. Your benefits will begin again when your new semester begins (e.g. January 15) and you will be paid for the remaining days of that month and term.

Prorated Housing Stipend – Students enrolled at more than half-time but less than full-time will begin having their housing allowance prorated based on the number of classes they are taking (also called rate of pursuit). This amount will be rounded to the nearest tenth. For example a student enrolled with a rate of pursuit 75% would receive 80% of the BAH rate.

NOAA and PHS personnel are now eligible to transfer their entitlement to eligible dependents.

New Voc-Rehab Stipend Option - Vocational Rehabilitation participants may now elect the higher housing allowance offered by the Post 9/11 GI Bill® if otherwise eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill®.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)