Medical Front Office Assistant (Certificate)
- Last Updated: 22 July 2015
Minimum credits Required: 28
The Medical Office Assistant Certificate program prepares students for the varied and expanded responsibilities involved in working within medical offices today. Students will receive training in numerous areas, which will give them a complete understanding of the intricate workings within today’s medical businesses. Graduates will have the skills necessary to obtain a position as a medical office assistant that will be able to perform numerous duties in the front office. Students may apply credit hours earned in this program toward the Associate of Applied Science degree in Medical Assistant.
Certificate Requirements: 28 credits
|AHS 100||Intro to U.S. Health Care Systems||3|
|AHS 102||Administrative Medical Front Office||4|
|AHS 105||Professionalism in Health Care Settings||3|
|AHS 110||Health Care Ethics and Law||3|
|AHS 131||Medical Terminology||3|
|AHS 135||Medical Insurance, Coding, and Billing||3|
|AHS 289||Internship-Medical Front Office||2|
|BIO 160||Intro to Human Anatomy and Physiology||4|
|CIS 120||Intro to Computer Information Systems||3|
The outcomes identified below define the knowledge and skill sets that graduates will possess at the end of their program of study.
- Apply proper oral and written communication skills in the work place.
- Understand cultural diversity and apply this understanding to health care situations.
- Operate computer hardware and software as applicable to the health care industry.
- Use critical thinking skills in decision making concerning patient care.
- Understand and use medical terminology and healthcare delivery.
- Understand and work within the rules of ethics and law in health care.
- Understand procedures and operate professionally within the medical office environment.
- Understand and use proper Health Information Management and Privacy Rules in the Medical office.
- Use billing and coding procedures and carry out the basics of health insurance claim forms.
- Analyze, synthesize and evaluate data.
- Use critical thinking skills in decision making concerning patient care in administrative situations.