Emergency Medical Services (EMS)
EMS 090 (0 credit hours)
American Heart Association Basic Life Support course.
EMS 100 (3)
Emergency Medical Services First Response Training Course
Working knowledge of emergency medicine per the U.S. Department of Transportation guidelines. Two lecture; two lab.
EMS 105 (4)
Wilderness First Responder
Wilderness First Responder course using the curriculum of the Wilderness Medical Society (WMS), a nonprofit organization consisting of physicians and healthcare providers from around the world who have approved and recommended practice guidelines and minimum course topics on the best methods of handling wilderness related trauma, illness and environmental emergencies. Four Lecture.
EMS 131 (8)
Emergency Medical Technician
Emergency Medical Technician course using the 2009 curriculum adapted by the Arizona Department of Health Services. This course will help prepare students for the National Registry of EMTs and certification as an AZ EMT. Eight lecture. Prerequisites:
- 18 years old by the end of the course.
- TB Skin Test within the last six months prior to the start of the class. If a student has ever tested positive for TB, a report for a negative chest x-ray within 5 years is acceptable.
- Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR) Vaccinations or titer.
- Tetnus, Diphtheria, and Pertussis (TDAP) within the last 10 years OR Tetnus and Diphtheria (TD) within the last 2 years.
- Varicella (Chicken Pox): 2 vaccines OR positive blood titer needed.
- Flu vaccine for current flu season. May be delayed until start of the Fall semester.
- CPR certification by 1 of the following:
- American Heart Association- BLS Healthcare Provider
- American Red Cross - CPR for the Professional Rescuer
- ASHI - CPR Pro
- Prerequisite: Reading Comprehension Placement of 41 or ENG 095 or placement beyond prerequisite.
- Pre/Co-requisite: FSC 138 for Fire Science or Paramedic majors.
For a current list of requirements, click here. The above requirements are subject to change at the discretion of Northern Arizona Healthcare. Please contact David Manning with any questions.
EMS 211 (2)
Emergency Medical Technician Refresher
EMS 212 (0 credits)
EMT Challenge Exam
This option enables the student to demonstrate continued cognitive competency without documenting continuing education.
EMS 262 (47)
Certified Emergency Paramedic
Preparation of the Certified Basic Emergency Medical Technician for transition to an advanced Certified Emergency Paramedic provider level. Includes human anatomy and physiology, physical assessment, advanced airway and ventilation techniques, intravenous therapy, medical emergencies, and trauma patient management. Interested students will go through a rigorous testing process and should contact the EMS program coordinator. Prerequisite: EMS 131 or equivalent course/certification, current Arizona EMT certification. One year as a Certified EMT-Basic and acceptance to the program. Pre/Co-requisite: FSC 138.
This course is provided in partnership with Northern Arizona Healthcare (NAH). Application to and acceptance into the program is required in order to take this course. See the NAH website at www.nahealth.com for application information. Twenty-seven lecture. Forty lab. Fall.
EMS 198/298 (1-6)
Designed to meet the needs of an individual(s) who has an interest in pursuing an original topic in an instructional area under faculty supervision. One to six variable credit hours.