To reduce the likelihood of your FAFSA being selected for verification, use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool for both students and parents to answer the federal income tax questions on the FAFSA. This process will prompt you and/or your parent(s) to enter their FSA ID and password in order to link to the IRS web site.
The IRS Data Retrieval Tool will not work if:
- A tax return has been filed as “Married Filing Separately”
- A tax return status is married and filed as Head of Household
- Marital status changed after December 31st
- An amended tax return has been filed
- A Puerto Rican or foreign tax return has been filed
- You currently owe taxes and have not paid the IRS in full
Please be advised that if your FAFSA is selected for verification and you are not eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (or choose not to use the tool), then you will need to get a Tax Return Transcript from the IRS.