Technical Requirements for Online Classes
You will need to meet the minimum hardware/software requirements below in order to view your Online Course. Check your course welcome page for any additional course-specific requirements.
Minimum Requirements for Online Classes
- A PC or Macintosh computer
- Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7 or Macintosh OS 10.5 or greater
- Server versions of the Microsoft operating system are not supported
- 64 MB of RAM
- 56.6kps modem or fasterr internet connection
- Keyboard and pointing device (mouse or trackpad)
- Sound Card and speakers
- A color monitor
- 256 colors
- 800 X 600 resolution
- Access to the Internet
- A supported web browser for Blackboard Vista 8
- The Java plugin
- Word processing software.
- Some classes may require additional software, like Microsoft Office, Quicktime or Windows Media Player. These requirements will be listed on in the course.
Browser Requirements for Online Classes
Please check Blackboard's Vista Supported Web Browsers. We are using Blackboard Vista 8 SP5. We recommend installing two supported browsers. Firefox works on both platforms. If you are having difficulty with one browser, then try your other browser. Links to download updated browsers are on Blackboard's Vista Supported Web Browsers page.
If you have difficulty, please follow the steps found at Blackboard's Browser Tune-up Page. You can also download Firefox 8.0 from here:
Click here to download Firefox Setup 8.0.zip
Windows Java Settings
Java Plugin for Windows
Java Version 1.7 (also knows as 'Version 7') is the recommended version to work properly with Vista.
IMPORTANT: Java and Vista compatibility changes frequently. We have done our best to keep this information current. It is possible, though, that because of newer versions of various software and plugins coming out incompatibility issue may arise. Please check Blackboard's Vista Supported Web Browsers for the latest information.
Installing Java 1.7
Click here to download Java 7.zip
Mac OS X Java
Mac Java Plugin
The Java plugin should be installed on OSX already. If you are unsure, run Software Update from the Finder to be sure.
Recommended Browser Plugins
Online courses at Coconino Community College may use the following browser plugins: