Sustainable Green Building: AAS Degree
The Associate of Applied Science in Sustainable Green building is designed to educate students comprehensively on the many subjects related to Green Building Categories and related Environmental and occupant issues, Energy Efficiencies and Sustainable Building design considerations. This is a Programs of Study articulated program. For more information click here
The outcomes identified below define the knowledge and skill sets
that graduates of this program will possess at the end of their program of study.
• Gain core concepts & Categories of Sustainability and Green Building.
• Gain fundamental knowledge of Environmental Issues, especially related to the construction industry.
• Gain introductory knowledge of soils for local food production
• Acquire skills related to green construction.
• Attain a basic knowledge in construction methodology.
• Understand and apply basic construction safety for trades.
• Gain fundamental knowledge in building drafting, design, layout and auto CAD
• Explore and develop critical skills for a variety of alternative construction techniques.
• Develop critical skills for energy analysis of buildings & related performance measures.
• Develop competencies for sustainable materials & resource use efficiencies.
• Design competencies developed for various solar systems; passive & active .
• Develop electrical trade fundamentals for renewable energy generation.
• Attain fundamentals solar design knowledge.
• Attain & apply fundamental knowledge of sustainable projects and industry related checklist certifications.
Minimum hours required: 68
General Education Requirements: 19 credit hours
See General Education Courses that can be used to satisfy General Education requirements.
ENG 101¹ College Composition I (3)
ENG 102¹ College Composition II (3)
MAT 142¹ College Mathematics (3) or a higher course selected from the approved AGEC courses in the Mathematics category.
Any approved General Education courses in the Arts/Humanities category.
Social/Behavioral Sciences (3)
Any approved General Education courses in the Social/Behavioral Sciences category.
Physical/Biological Sciences (4)
Any approved General Education course in the Physical/Biological Sciences category.
Degree Core Requirements: 49 credit hours
AGR 111 A Living Soil I (1)
CTM 120 Building the Human Environment (3)
CTM 123 Building Methods I (3)
CTM 124¹Building Methods II (3)
CTM 130 Blueprint Reading (3)
CTM 131 Green Building Introduction (1)
CTM 132 Solar Water Heating Workshop (2)
CTM 133 Solar Greenhouse Design (1)
CTM 134 Rain Water Harvest Systems (1)
CTM 138 Intro to Solar Design Applications (1)
CTM 150 Basic Electrical Theory (3)
CTM 235 Solar Home Design (3)
CTM 236 Photovoltaics and Wind Power (3)
CTM 250¹ Innovative and Alternative Building Tech (3)
CTM 260 Green Building I (3)
CTM 289 Internship (3)
ENV 111 Local Environmental Issues (3)
DFT 110 Tech Drafting and Cad Fund (3)
DFT 125¹Architectural Drafting I (3)
DFT 155 SolidWorks and the Manufacturing Environment (3)
¹ Placement test and/or prerequisite required.
This catalog was prepared on the basis of the best information available at the time of publication. All information is subject to change without notice, obligation, or liability.