Sheet Metal Apprenticeship: AAS Degree
The Associate of Applied Science in Sheet Metal Apprenticeship will prepare students with the trade skills related to a career in sheet metal. Completion of this degree involves completion of all sheet metal union-related qualification requirements of "step" trade-work experience as well as all union-related classroom training required to achieve "journeyman" status
The outcomes identified below define the knowledge and skill sets
that graduates of this program will possess at the end of their program of study.
• Fully meet the requirements to gain sheet metal journeyman status.
• Possess an advanced understanding and skill of sheet metal applications used in residential, food service, solar heating, and heating and air conditioning settings; these include:
• mathematical principles used in developing layouts and patterns, estimating materials and determining airflow,
• installation and operation of HVAC, duct, and blowpipe systems,
• welding, seams and locks,
• blue print reading and interpretation of construction drawings,
• selection and construction of concrete frameworks,
• rough framing post and beam, timber, stair, and roof construction,
• building layout, engineering, rigging and scaffolding set up, and
• commercial and industrial building interior systems.
• Possess the knowledge and skills to recognize hazards, work safely and productively in sheet metal construction industry.
Minimum hours required: 75
General Education Requirements: 25 credit hours
See General Education Courses that can be used to satisfy General Education requirements.
ENG 101¹ College Composition I (3)
ENG 102¹ College Composition II (3)
MAT 124¹ Technical Problem Solving (3) or a higher course selected from the approved AGEC courses in the Mathematics category.
Any approved General Education courses in the Arts/Humanities category.
Social/Behavioral Sciences (6)
Any approved General Education courses in the Social/Behavioral Sciences category.
Physical/Biological Sciences (4–5)
Any approved General Education course in the Physical/Biological Sciences category.
Degree Core Requirements: 50 credit hours
SMT 101 Sheet Metal I (5)
SMT 102¹ Sheet Metal II (5)
SMT 103¹ Sheet Metal III (5)
SMT 104¹ Sheet Metal IV (5)
SMT 105¹ Sheet Metal V (5)
SMT 106¹ Sheet Metal VI (5)
SMT 107¹ Sheet Metal VII (5)
SMT 108¹ Sheet Metal VIII (5)
SMT 109¹ Sheet Metal IX (5)
SMT 110¹ Sheet Metal X (5)
¹ Placement test and/or prerequisite required.
This catalog was prepared on the basis of the best information available at the time of publication. All information is subject to change without notice, obligation, or liability.