Fire Science: AAS Degree
The Fire Science program is designed to prepare students to enter the Fire Science profession by providing them with knowledge and skills which can be used to enter a wide variety of positions. The program allows students the option of selecting courses emphasizing emergency medical, fire suppression, or fire prevention.
The outcomes identified below define the knowledge and skill sets
that graduates will possess at the end of their program of study.
• Fully meet the requirements to gain state approved certification as outlined by current Arizona State Fire Marshal.
• Fully meet the requirements to gain the red card certification system used by the U.S. Forest Service.
• Develop effective written communication skills consistent with the fire service and related professional environments.
• Develop the ability to retrieve, evaluate, and use information appropriately by using library resources, information technology, analytical tools, and the scientific method to predict and control fire problems and advance knowledge of fire science.
• Use knowledge of other cultures, politics, ethics, and human rights to positively impact the community, work place, and the physical environment around us.
Minimum credit hours required: 69
General Education Requirements: 25–28 credit hours
See General Education Courses that can be used to satisfy General Education requirements.
ENG 101¹ College Composition I (3)
ENG 102¹ College Composition II (3)
MAT 142¹ College Mathematics (3) or a higher course selected from the approved AGEC courses in the Mathematics category.
Any approved General Education courses in the Arts/Humanities category.
Social/Behavioral Sciences (6)
Any approved General Education courses in the Social/Behavioral Sciences category.
Physical/Biological Sciences (4–5)
Choose one of the following:
BIO 100¹ Biology Concepts (4)
BIO 105¹ Environmental Biology (4)
BIO 181¹ Unity of Life: Life of the Cell (4)
CHM 130¹ Fundamental Chemistry (4)
CHM 151¹ General Chemistry I (5)
PHY 111¹ College Physics I (4)
Degree Core Requirements: 44 credit hours
Required: 35 credit hours
EMS 131 Emergency Medical Technician (8)
FSC 135 Fundamentals of Fire Prevention (3)
FSC 136 Fire Apparatus & Hydraulics (4)
FSC 138 Hazardous Materials/First Responder (3)
FSC 180 Fire Fighter I & II (8)
FSC 236 Firefighter Occupational Safety (3)
FSC 238¹ Emergency Scene Management (3)
FSC 239¹ Fire Department Company Officer (3)
Degree Electives: 9 credit hours
Select at least nine credit hours from the following:
BUS 206 Principles of Management (3)
BUS 2141 Legal, Ethical, & Regulatory Issues in Business (3)
CIS 120 Introduction to Computer Info Systems (3)
EMS 211¹ Emergency Medical Technician Refresher (2)
EMS 262¹ Certified Emergency Paramedic (47)
FSC 233 Wildland Fire Suppression (4)
FSC 234 Fire Investigation (3)
FSC 235¹ Fire Protection Systems (3)
FSC 241 Firefighter Safety & Building Construction (3)
¹ Placement test and/or prerequisite required.
This catalog was prepared on the basis of the best information available at the time of publication. All information is subject to change without notice, obligation, or liability.